Paying for College
Each year the School Counselor presents a "Paying for College" session to our Seniors. This includes providing each senior access to a variety of resources through their Google Drive account. Below are a few highlights to keep in mind when looking to pay for college. We also introduce key topics such as college affordability in lower grades.
Most students attending college after high school will need some sort of financial assistance. This is where FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) comes in. When you apply for FAFSA there are three potential types of assistance you may be eligible to receive:
- Grants: This is money you do not have to pay back. This type of ward goes to only those that qualify as having economic need.
- Scholarships: Again this is money that you don't have to pay back. We have two links to the left of this text devoted to scholarships.
- Check Out the NYS Excelsior Scholarship Link Below...The scholarship is a tuition-free college option for many families in NY when the FAFSA/TAP Grants above aren't enough.
- Click Here for more on scholarships.
- Loans: Not all loans are created equal. (i.e. Stafford, Perkins vs. Parent Plus Loans) The school counselor will explain some of the differences students should be aware of. However, all loans must be paid back regardless of whether or not you complete your education.
- Work-Study: A federally funded program in which students are assigned an on-campus job while in college where they earn money based on how many hours they work.
Financial Aid Resources
- Need 1 on 1 Help?
- Online Financial Aid Application Resources
- New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (H.E.S.C)
- This organization runs things such as the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), the NYS Excelsior Scholarship and Youth In Care (Foster Care) programs.
- Tuition Comparison Tools
- SUNY Smart Track
- US News & World Report Education Financial Aid Section
- Financial Aid Award Letter Comparison Worksheet award_letter_comparison_worksheet.pdf
- Aid Estimators
- Financial Aid Need Estimator(FAFSA4caster)
- SUNY Net Price Calculator